- January 6, 2018
- Posted by: Surender Kumar
- Category: Windows Server, WSUS Server
Windows 10 version 1709, is the fourth major update to Windows 10 (previous versions were 1511, 1607 and 1703 respectively). Version 1709 has been branded as the Fall Creators Update.
If you are one trying to push this update via WSUS in your organization you might face the following issue which is most common:
Update process freezes on Downloading updates 0%.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- On WSUS Server, type inetmgr in Run dialog. This will open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- In IIS Manager, expand Sites and then select WSUS Administration as shown below
- In Features view, double click MIME Types option.
- You will see a list of all MIME types added. Check if there is .esd extension in the list. If .esd is already there in list, you may have some other issue with your WSUS. If not, you can proceed to next step.
- In right pane click on Add link
- In File name extension, type .esd and in MIME type, type application/octet-stream.
- Now restart your WSUS service and IIS Server with following commands
iisreset /restart net stop wsusservice && net start wsusservice
As soon as you restart the services, you will notice the frozen download (that was stuck at 0%) will start automatically .